There are many things that happen when a person is injured due to the negligence or reckless behavior of a person or company. First, there are the emergency and long-term medical expenses, then there is the impact that the injury has on the person’s career. In addition, there is the effect on his/her family as well as the pain and suffering that may be ongoing. At the Law Office of Shawn McDonald, we understand the myriad of ways in which a devastating injury can change a life and we are committed to fighting for the compensation that a personal injury victim deserves.
There are many different ways in which a person can be injured because someone else acted in a negligent manner, including:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents;
- Dangerous products, specifically including pharmaceutical drugs and devices;
- Workplace injuries;
- Medical malpractice cases; and
- Premises liability accidents.
Although there are many other types of negligent accidents, these are the most common and lead to devastating injuries for people throughout the Houston area. It is critical for an accident victim to have the right personal injury attorney because the insurance companies are going to do everything possible to avoid paying a claim. In order to recover in a personal injury case, it is necessary to prove the following:
- That the person who caused the injury had a duty to act in a reasonable manner, based on the circumstances of the case;
- That the person breached that duty;
- That the breach was the direct and proximate cause of the victim’s injuries; and
- That the person suffered actual harm as a result of the negligent actions.
What this means is that it is critical to build a clear case detailing the wrongdoing of the party who caused the harm. Attorney Shawn McDonald understands how the insurance company representatives or other parties are going to try to undermine this causal connection as well as the nature of the harm that was done. We do not back down from the fight because we know how critical the compensation is to pay the bills resulting from the accident, as well as care for the family when work is not possible or only can be performed on a limited basis. In representing our clients, our firm does the following:
- We discuss the case thoroughly – many times, a person feels disconnected from his legal case. We believe in open communication and make sure that our clients understand all the potential outcomes of the case;
- We help our clients get the right medical help – it is important that an accident victim gets the right medical help and ongoing rehabilitation. This is critical for the best possible recovery. It also is helpful to have a clear medical record from the time of the accident to demonstrate the extent of the injuries;
- We deal with the insurance company representatives – these individuals often rush in after an accident to try to get a person to agree to a settlement before he even knows the extent of his injuries and how they will affect his life moving forward. We take over all interactions to be certain that the insurance company does not coerce our clients into an unfair outcome; and
- We fight for the compensation that our clients deserve – whether this entails negotiating a fair settlement or going to trial to get the right results, we are prepared to advocate aggressively on behalf of our clients.
When a person faces injuries, he or she needs to be certain that every detail is addressed correctly in order to receive the compensation that they deserve. The Law Office of Shawn McDonald offers this comprehensive information and advocacy, and works tirelessly to protect our clients’ interests at all costs.